1) Panda : 24 Feb 2011
Focus on :
- Duplicate content,
- Thin content,
- keyword stuffing
- and user-generated spams
How Panda Works: Panda assign a quality score to a web page. This score used as a ranking factor. In initial rollout, Panda was a filter rather than part of Google ranking algorithm. In 2016 Panda was officially incorporated into the core algorithm of Google. Now Panda rollouts become more frequent due to part of core algorithm, So both penalties and recoveries now happen faster.
How to make website Panda Proof :
- Run site check on regular intervals for :
- Identify the pages where content seems to be duplicate.
- Identify the pages where this content is present
- Identify the pages where keyword density is high and indicating a keyword stuffing.
- Use Copyscape plagiarism checker on regular intervals.
2) Penguin: 24 April 2012
- Spammy Links
- Irrelevant Links
- Paid Links
- Link Farming
How Penguin works: The objective of the penguin is to downrank the sites whose links seem to be manipulative. Since 2016 penguin has been part of Google’s core algorithm. Unlike panda, penguin works in real time.
How to make website Penguin Proof:
- Monitor your back-link profile on regular intervals.
- Run an audit weekly with a trusted backlink checker tool.
- Check the spam score, DA, PA of the website before creating backlinks for the site.
- Always take links in a natural way with variant anchor text in content.
3) Humming Birds: 22 August 2013
How Humming Bird Works:
Humming Bird helps Google to better interpret search queries of users and provide the result to the searcher that fulfills their purpose of the query. As opposed to the individual term in the query it shows the search result which is more relevant to the searched term.
Humming Bird makes possible to rank better a page which doesn’t contain the exact search term but serve the purpose of the user.
For better search result Humming Bird uses the natural language processing based on the latent semantic indexing, co-occurring terms, and synonyms.
How to Adjust with Humming Birth Update:
- Expand your keyword research.
- Focus on the content purpose, not keywords.
- Research and Add
- Use Google’s related search and Autocomplete
4) Pigeon: 24 July 2014
- Poor on Page and Off Page
- Location Based Results
How Pigeon Update Works:
- Pigeon affects those search results in which user’s location plays an important role.
- This update is a bridge between local algorithm and core algorithm.
- Traditional Seo factors are used to rank local search results.
How to adjust with Pigeon Update:
- Work on your on the page and off page SEO by follow ing Google’s guideline.
- Use Google Business listing to better result in local searches.
- Take backlinks from relevant business directories and business listing sites.
- Don’t focus only on a link from each local site.